I had so much fun creating my list of top 10 favorite picture books for The Broke and the Bookish meme, that I thought I’d let my son play too. He’s 8 years old and loves graphic novels. He’s read tons of them and these are his favorites. Again, these are in no particular order. What are your favorite graphic novels for this age group? He is always on the hunt for great books and would love your recommendations!
2. Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney – My son devoured all 11 books in this series. He was so excited to watch a movie and then so disappointed. “Mom, this is not nearly as good as the book.” It was a fun proud mom moment to have him make this realization. He never asked to watch another Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie again.
3. Big Nate Series by Lincoln Peirce – This is an 8 book series of books that my son absolutely loved. There are other Big Nate books out there as well, aside from the series as well as comic strip compilations. These are books that my son goes back to and re-reads when he’s out of other reading material. I hear him laughing out loud and he loves relaying snippets from these books to us.
4. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman – Having read and loved the non-graphic version of this book, I was excited to see how my son would react to this. At first, he was definitely taken aback by the violence with which the book starts, but he quickly got into it, and now rates it in his top ten.
5. 13 Story Treehouse Series by Andy Griffiths – My son has read the first 5 books in this series. It looks like the 6th is available in text in Australia, but not yet here in the US. My son describes this series as having both an excellent storyline and great humor.
8. The Adventures of Super Diaper Baby Series by Dav Pilkey, George Beard, and Harold Hutchins – This 2 book series is for kids who love silly humor. The thing that bothers me about this series is all the misspelled words, because it is supposed to be written by two young kids themselves. However, this doesn’t seem to bother my son.